Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Know How to Say One Thing . . .

It was just this year that I realized I had been slowly building a collection.

Thank yous.

In different languages.

I don't speak Indonesian. I don't speak Japanese. I don't speak Thai. But, I can learn how to say ONE thing: thank you.

I would love to add to this list, so read through it and leave a comment with any other "thank yous" that YOU know. And bonus: add ONE thing for which you are thankful--traditional or insanely random.

Here's my list so far:

1. Thank you--English--the native language of more countries than you may have previously thought

2. Gracias--Spanish--though I did visit Baja California, Mexico when I was younger, Spanish is more relevant to my life today in that the elementary school my children attend back in Utah has nearly a 50% population of students from native-Spanish-speaking families

3. Merci--French--learned when we lived in the South of France when I was a young child

4. Arigato go zai mas--Japanese--my Anglicized spelling of it could probably use some help--my husband is fluent in Japanese and we used this when we took a holiday to Japan this summer (July/August 2013) {upcoming post}

5. Terima kassi--Indonesian--learned on our holiday to Indonesia this summer (June/July 2013)

6. Mahalo--Hawaiian--learned on our couple of trips to Hawaii (Maui 2000, Big Island 2010)

7. Xie xie--Mandarin--learned when we moved to Singapore, where the largest ethnic group is Mandarin-speaking Chinese

8. Kob khun ka/krab--Thai--learned on our holiday to Thailand (October 2013) {upcoming post}

9. Ta blu--Karen (Northern Thailand tribe people)--our guides at the elephant farm in Chiang Mai, Thailand were all Karen (I often heard it said twice in a row)

10. Danke--German--my brother learned German once, learned it from him

11. Takk--Norwegian--learned when I lived almost a year and a half as a missionary in Norway

12. Tak--Danish--learned in association with my time in Norway (pronounced more like "tack")

13. Obrigado--Portuguese--learned at the Brazilian restaurant back in my Utah town

14. Spasibo--Russian--learned as a child when my family spent 9 days on a train across the length of Russia

15. Mm goy--Cantonese--learned from my husband's co-worker and his wife when we were in Hong Kong together (September 2012)

16. Malo--Tongan--learned from a children's song at church--ways to say "thank you" in other languages

17. Shokran--Arabic--learned at Disney World's Epcot Center where in 2000 I performed with the BYU International Folk Dance Ensemble. We had a 2-week stint at an international "village" featuring cultures and cuisines from around the world

18. Grazie--Italian--learned on a solo holiday to France and Italy (one month--I stayed with friends of the family most of the time); I had my 20th birthday on that trip

19. O kun--Khmer--learned on my recent service trip to Cambodia, where my son and I (and 17 others) got to be the manual labor at a school site {upcoming post}


The earth is truly a magnificent speck in the universe. And the world that inhabits that earth deserves every bit of love and gratitude we can give it.

Happy Thanksgiving to my American family and friends. And I extend a Happy Thanksgiving to the rest of my global family as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this post! So thankful that my family is healthy. May you have a blessed year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...